Removal of Portmanager

b.f. bf1783 at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 16 16:02:20 UTC 2013

>On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 08:48:37AM +0000, b.f. wrote:
>> Mark wrote:
>> >And your suggestion is ... ?
>> Try ports/ports-mgmt/portupdate-scan.
>
>portupdate-scan displays pertinent entries from /usr/ports/UPDATING.
>How does that help you digest long lists posted on a mailing list?

Obviously, it can't:  I misunderstood the original complaint.  If
portupdate-scan is parsing MOVED and UPDATING, it can help notify
users of port removals before they update their packages, but not
before the ports are removed.  If users have an up-to-date ports tree
in PORTSDIR, they can use something simple like:

pkg_info -qoa | xargs -I @ grep -le EXPIRATION_DATE $PORTSDIR/@/Makefile

to find which of their installed packages are likely to be removed,
with obvious variations to list all DEPRECATED ports, etc.  If they
don't have a ports tree, they can use:

http://portsmon.freebsd.org/portsconcordanceforexpiring.py

b.