Removal of Portmanager

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Wed Jan 16 02:20:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, 16 Jan 2013 01:51:39 +0000
RW <rwmaillists at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 17:56:50 -0600
> Mark Linimon wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 04:02:13PM +0000, RW wrote:
> > > FreeBSD doesn't exactly announce deprecation  "on display in the
> > > bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with
> > > a sign on the door saying Beware of The Leopard" but it's pretty
> > > close.
> >
> > See, e.g.,
> >
> >   http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?201301070830.r078URib068877
>

> > Reports are sent to ports@ every 2 weeks.
>
> And I wonder how many people read carefully through all 478 entries.

I actually at least glance at it to make sure none of the less popular
ports I'm using might be affected. Not sure if this makes me a more
interesting person or not ;)

Anyway, if this is a major concern this might make an interesting
periodic script - similar to portaudit. So it could check nightly which
of the installed packages are scheduled to be removed from the ports
tree in the near future. I certainly won't spend any time on this, but
maybe someone out there considers this useful enough to write it?!

--
Michael Gmelin