Why delete KDE3 ports?

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Wed Jan 9 20:36:07 UTC 2013

On 09.01.2013 14:53, Adam Vande More wrote:
> I don't use knotes, but have you tried the solution here?
> http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=84823
Obviously, knotes was just an example. All other customizations (such as menus,
backgrounds&screen-savers, email accounts -- everything under ~/.kde) have to be
redone too and, frankly, I do not trust today's KDE project to not do the same
nonsense again, when they decide to abandon KDE4 for 5 (can't be long now that
the release is 4.8).

The very existence of the project Trinity is a sign, that my opinion is shared
by a few more people.

>     This can all be handled, but meanwhile, until there ARE actual problems,
>     leave the ports alone, please.
>

> "Actual problems" have already been cited for it.
No, they have not. The minor security threat cited is easily managed by simply
not using kdm on a system, where less than trusted users have access. kdm is a
minor part of KDE anyway (I, for one, use xdm).
> Fighting change can often lead much more wasted
Yes, it often can. But not in this case. Yours,

    -mi