Why delete KDE3 ports?

Beat Gaetzi beat at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 7 18:40:58 UTC 2013

On 01/07/13 15:22, Mikhail T. wrote:
> On 07.01.2013 03:33, freebsd-ports-request at freebsd.org wrote:
>> portname:           accessibility/kdeaccessibility description:
>> Accessibility applications for KDE maintainer:ports at FreeBSD.org
>> deprecated because: Depends on QT3; unmaintained expiration date:
>> 2013-07-01 build errors:       none.
>> overview:http://portsmon.FreeBSD.org/portoverview.py?category=accessibility&portname=kdeaccessibility

Once again a working port (no build errors) is scheduled for deletion on
> the grounds of simply being "unmaintained".

QT 3.3.8 was released in 2007 and KDE 3.5.10 in 2008 and both are no
longer maintained upstream nor in the ports tree. They possibly
contain security vulnerabilities and they likely will break in the
future if a build or lib dependency gets updated as they assume a 5
year old environment.

The deprecation period was set to 6 month to give someone the
opportunity to update QT3 and KDE3 to the Trinity fork and I'm happy
to offer exp-runs (once the clusters are back) if someone has patches
but I don't see a reason why we should keep pointyhat busy (during
exp-runs and frequent QA runs) with something that is outdated and
mostly unmaintained for years now, prone to break and possibly insecure.

Beat