Why delete KDE3 ports?

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Mon Jan 7 14:51:12 UTC 2013

On 07.01.2013 09:41, David Demelier wrote:
> Because Qt3 is old and KDE3 will completely disappear.
This is exactly the sentiment I find disagreeable -- that simply being
"old" is enough to condemn a perfectly functional piece of software.

Maybe, it is because of my own age, that I am -- in the back of my mind
-- becoming concerned, the sentiment may get applied to humans as well.
But, more likely, it is simply because it does not make sense...

> I think you should look at trinity. It is a fork of KDE3 and is in
> development to be ported to Qt4 :)
Yes, I looked at it, and may even port it some day -- if I find a
collaborator or two. In my opinion, absent the other "prong", Trinity is
not even a "fork", but the actual next version of KDE3 (something, KDE4
is not).

But, until then, deleting KDE3 ports -- which continue to build fine --
seems wrong.

    -mi