Ocaml ports needs love

Jeremy Messenger mezz.freebsd at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 20:16:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 7:09 AM, b.f. <bf1783 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>I received a lot of complaint about ocaml being in a bad shape: lang/ocaml being
>>outdated, lots of ocaml ports not being carefully maintained and updated.
>>
>>I personnally know nothing about ocaml so I'm not able to actually be helpful to
>>improve the situation, I would love to see people taking the task of cleaning up
>>the situation, bringing up ocaml ports to newer version.
>>
>>Probably creating a ocaml@ team would be a good idea?
>
> Have these people been talking to the maintainers, or those
> responsible for outstanding PRs?  Because I've only had two inquiries
> in the past several months.  There were a few delays as maintainership
> passed from stas to new volunteers, the pre-release freeze was
> drawn-out, some upstream bugs were fixed, and while other changes
> (like tcl/tk) were made. But I expect that the new ocaml will be done
> soon (right after an update of lablgtk2) , and Michael Grunewald has
> been active. An ocaml alias and mailing list might help at least for
> the unmaintained ports, and as a place for discussions.

The update of lang/opa requires ocaml 4. I don't know if the current
version of lang/opa will working with ocaml 4. If it doesn't build
then don't worry about it. You guys can go ahead mark it as BROKEN if
you don't know the fix. I will update it and remove BROKEN when I can.

--
mezz.freebsd at gmail.com - mezz at FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD GNOME Team