FreeBSD port for redirecting printer

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Wed Feb 27 11:57:00 UTC 2013

El día Tuesday, February 26, 2013 a las 07:36:46PM +0100, Matthias Apitz escribió:

> > > Install CUPS (from our ports), catch the incoming data on 9100 with
> > > ncat(1) (from ports) and pipe the data to a "lpr -P.... -o raw" command (of CUPS)
> > No not CUPS. Not needed (i just want to sent it to printer). And avoided
> > at all cost.
>
> But for this, CUPS is your best choice.

Re/ CUPS and lpd(8), I only want to mention that in real world live I'm
the technical lead of a software company and we have around 150 big
libraries (of Universities etc.) which run our solutions on Linux or
Solaris SPARC; they all use a precompiled CUPS and configure all their
printers in the network with CUPS (browser admin); I will not imagine
what would happen for us on service hotline, if they would all use
something different and asking "why the hell the print is not coming
out";

another issue, how do you print an UTF-8 encoded text file, containing
for example Hebrew and Greek? With CUPS' lpr(1) you just say:

$ lpr -Pfoo myfile.txt

and all is done on the fly, assuming the printer "foo" understands
Postscript.

	matthias
--
Sent from my FreeBSD netbook

Matthias Apitz               |  - No system with backdoors like Apple/Android
E-mail: guru at unixarea.de     |  - Never being an iSlave
WWW: http://www.unixarea.de/ |  - No proprietary attachments, no HTML/RTF in E-mail
phone: +49-170-4527211       |  - Respect for open standards