FreeBSD port for redirecting printer

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Wed Feb 27 11:54:35 UTC 2013

>> lpd(8) can be annoying, but works fine for this kind of use.
>
> I concur in this case. I have a Postscript-aware HP printer that also
> does PCL. The usual simple shell script filter to detect PostScript
> allows that to auto-adjust. printcap is easy, and I love chkprintcap -

exactly what i do.

lpd as print spooler, all programs compiled without CUPS if possible, and
now my simple script using Xdialog to ask where do you like to print -
started in place of lpr.

Duplex printing is set as separate printer, so all user have to do is
single click selecting of "duplex" printer.

For windows clients, i always use "LaserJet 2300 PS" driver for every
server provided printer, so no bloat of supplied drivers and their adverts
about buying paper.

And no problem changing network printer to another model.