Share /var/cache/pkg/ between machines

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Tue Feb 26 03:00:02 UTC 2013

I'd like to share packages between a couple of nearly identical machines in a server farm. I think I have the following options:

1. Set up apache httpd on one primary machine to serve the packages to the others by pointing website root to to /var/cache/pkg/ and setting PACKAGESITE in the other servers. This looks like it might work except that repo.txz is missing from  /var/cache/pkg/

2. rsync  /var/cache/pkg/ from the primary machine to the others. Set PACKAGESITE on all machines to point to some central repository where all these packages originally were built (we run poudriere in another location).

3. Something else

How do other people cache/proxy built packages under pkgng? I don't want to have to pull the same 80Mb JDK package onto 10 machines across the internet.

Thanks

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis