Status/version of graphics/png?

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 25 07:16:14 UTC 2013

What is the status of graphics/png?

I noticed NetBSD pkgsrc was prompt in updating to 1.6 (or was it 1.6.0?), even though they are behind in some other packages.

I'm concerned with the prospect of having to rebuild all ports that depend on png when 1.5.x -> 1.6.

> The status is that I wait for the availibility of an exp-run,
> to see the regressions in directly 5500 dependendent ports.

> This might not happen before the 8.4 release.

> kind regards Dirk

> - Dirk Meyer, Im Grund 4, 34317 Habichtswald, Germany
> - [dirk.meyer at dinoex.sub.org],[dirk.meyer at guug.de],[dinoex at FreeBSD.org]

Thanks for letting me know, I guess it will be a long time.

I haven't seen anything about FreeBSD 8.4, assume it's not in the immediate future.

But then I wonder how pkgsrc was not bothered by having to see regressions in many dependent ports.

I assume Linux source package systems such as Gentoo portage and Arch Build System are not taking so long but can't verify that.

New packages are much easier to see on freshports (FreeBSD) and NetBSD pkgsrc than anywhere else I know.

Tom