[games/xboing] Xlib error

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-ports-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Feb 19 20:04:35 UTC 2013

"A.J. 'Fonz' van Werven" <fonz at skysmurf.nl> writes:

> The games/xboing port builds fine, but when I try to run it I get the
> following (and then it just exits):
>
>    (159)fonz at ace% xboing
>    XBoing - Please wait (insert gecos name), initialising xboing ...
>    XBoing - Error: Xlib Error: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
>
>    Please read `/usr/local/lib/X11/xboing/problems.doc' document for help.
>
> Unfortunately the mentioned problems.doc file does not appear to contain
> any clues for this particular issue. I seem to remember having had this
> problem for quite a long time, perhaps since FreeBSD switched from XFree86
> to X.org, but that is admittedly just an educated guess.
>
> When I asked about this on the FreeBSD forums I got exactly zero replies,
> so I figured I'd ask here before bugging the port maintainer directly.

I'd say it's exactly the sort of thing to include the maintainer on,
even if you're trying to not be pushy. I tried to take a look at this
myself, but quickly hit a point where I wanted to have a dtrace-enabled
system, which I don't at the current time. It's possible to debug more
directly, but I'm not volunteering immediately...