PostgreSQL 9.2: database replication on demand - easy way (Bucardo in ports not available)

Christoph Moench-Tegeder cmt at burggraben.net
Sat Feb 16 13:55:33 UTC 2013

## O. Hartmann (ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de):

> I feel realy uncomfortable with the built-in streaming replication of
> PostgreSQL 9.2 since I never managed it to make a successful
> replication. As far as I understand, the streaming mechanism of
> PostgreSQL 9.X expects the "slaves" to be always online, to which the
> replication.

The streaming replication is able to recover after "some" connectivity
loss, provided you still have enough transaction log (WAL) available
on the master. See configuration parameter "wal_keep_segments" and
it's description. Have you looked at databases/postgresql-repmgr?
Otherwise, I'm not that much of help with this, as the postgresql
clustering I'm doing at work runs under linux and is rather proprietary
(the underlying cluster technology has been developed by us). OTOH,
aside from the integration with our cluster, everything I did to
get the replication running should be very portable.

Regards,
Christoph

--
Spare Space