is it a good idea to overwrite GCC_DEFAULT_VERSION= in Mk/bsd.gcc.mk?

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Mon Feb 11 22:32:32 UTC 2013

	From gerald at pfeifer.com Mon Feb 11 16:59:44 2013

	Hi Anton,

	On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
	> Right now the default GCC is GCC_DEFAULT_VERSION=    4.6
	> For some time lang/gcc46 doesn't build for me on ia64.
	> However, lang/gcc47 and lang/gcc48 do.
	>
	> There are quite a few ports which I cannot update
	> because they depend on lang/gcc46 via USE_FORTRAN=    yes.
	>
	> So I wonder if there are any side effects or unexpected
	> effects if I just change GCC_DEFAULT_VERSION= to e.g. 4.7?

	this should work.  In my experience most ports that work with
	GCC 4.6 also should with GCC 4.7, and most have USE_GCC=4.6+
	anyway, so other users may well have built them with a later
	version aleady.

	One or the other port may exhibit a compile problem, in which
	case that would be an excellent opportunity to file a report
	against it and inform its maintainer.

	> And anyway, 4.7 will be the default soon, right?

	That's what I have been hoping to do, yes.  With the ports
	build cluster being unavailable for months now, we simply
	could not do the necessary testing though.

	Anyone who wants to give this a try, I'd be happy to see that.

	Gerald

ok, sure, I'll try it on ia64 first.

I'll get back to you

Anton