Possibly interactive deinstallation warning for a port ?

Marco Steinbach coco at executive-computing.de
Sat Feb 9 20:23:26 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm preparing a port for which the vendor advises the use of the built-in
export and import functionality for upgrading from one version of the
product to another.

So, for an upgrade the user is supposed to export the current data, then
delete the installed port, install the updated port, then import the data.

Just trying to preserve configuration files and data upon deinstallation
is prone to introduce hard to track errors for this product, so this does
not seem to be a viable option.

Currently, I'm just displaying a warning for 10 seconds during which the
user has time for aborting the deinstallation.

What I'd like to do is make the deinstallation truly interactive, enabling
the user to read through the warning text, then either decide to ditch the
product, or stop deinstallation, without any clock running (unless BATCH
is specified, that is).

Should I rely on the user knowing what he's doing, and just wait for a few
seconds in my pkg-deinstall script like postgresql does ?  Or is making
deinstallation interactive an acceptable option ?  If yes, do I need to
mark the whole port as being interactive, although installation is not
interactive ?

I tend to just wait a few seconds in order to not overcomplicate things,
but maybe someone can come up with some ideas or hints.

MfG CoCo
PS: The product in question is the REDAXO content management system.