Zimbra Port

Jason Helfman jgh at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 8 22:32:00 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Paul Pathiakis <pathiaki2 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I dug into it hard just a few days ago.
>
> Here's their issues:
>
> Like most people who are "solely" Linux (I'm not solely anything, 25+
> years in sysadmin, architecture, internet engineering, etc.), they don't
> understand where /opt came from and what its true, original purpose was.
> (Additional OS enhancement software - directory was created circa 1990).
> Most of the linux world believes that all additional software goes into
> /opt.
>
> Happily, we have nullfs but more happily, ZFS.
>
> ZFS creating /opt/zimbra or creating a zpool and zfs'ing it, whatever,
> solves this issue.  (In other words, poor use of auto-configuration tools
> and make variables that allow you to define a DESTDIR instead of hardcoding
> it.)  Performing a softlink or other things causes the install to totally
> blow up.
>
> They guy who did the attempt at FreeBSD installation, did a decent job at
> figuring this out.  Everything, performing his procedure works as almost as
> directed.
>
> Things that are not to be liked about it:
>
> He builds specific packages for the install and bundles them up with the
> install.
> He creates three packages for the install, the builddeps, rundeps and
> source.
> He then almost forces you to use these packages and his 'blessed ports
> packages" that he created to get it to install correctly instead of just
> using ports.
>
> After all this is installed with pkg_add (I couldn't find any indication
> of pkgng work) The supporting software is installed and ready to go.
>
> Now, you get to the Zimbra source.  (All 3 software bundles are tar'd and
> gzip'd)  Once the ZCS is unpacked, you run install.sh in its root directory
> and away it goes.
>
> Once you get by some very strange errors (DNS not configured but it was,
> you have to force it to be your domain, and some other strangeness), you
> work out those few issues and find no errors in the install log(s).
> Awesome....
>
> The last part of it is the thing starts up and integrates everything....
> (This is something truly impressive:  Apache, OpenSSL (certs get gen'd) ,
> LDAP, MySqeel, Postfix, all the spam, virus, etc packages that go with a
> mail system, and on and on.....  It then tells me everything is running and
> I have to connect to https://<host>:7071..... it just hangs at that
> point....  *shrug*
>
> I've tried debugging it and I've tried over 10 times of going over
> possible errors.  Nothing.  I tried contacting the author but there seems
> to be an access issue.
>
> I'll try again soon, however, my company is being built right now....  so
> I have VERY, VERY LIMITED time.  (Yes, it's PC-BSD and FreeBSD based)  I
> was hoping to have a full collaboration suite for MS exchange and Outlook
> [...]

I may able to take a look at this. I was a Zimbra Administrator and have
run into a number of issues that I can solve, and maybe can work with you
on the port.

mail/zimbra or java/zimbra lol..... :)

-jgh

--
Jason Helfman          | FreeBSD Committer
jgh at FreeBSD.org     | http://people.freebsd.org/~jgh  | The Power to Serve