openssl broken

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Fri Feb 8 21:52:38 UTC 2013

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 21:03:07 +0000 (UTC)
Michael Grimm articulated:

> Jerry <jerry at seibercom.net> wrote:
>
> > I updated openssl on my system and ran into this bug:
> >
> > As noted numerous times on the openssl-dev list, OpenSSL 1.0.1d is
> > broken.  You need to grab
> > <http://git.openssl.org/gitweb/?p=openssl.git;a=commitdiff;h=32cc247>
> > and apply it to the 1.0.1d source to fix it.
> >
> > Will this patch be applied to the port version?
>
> I'd like to second that. I ran into this issue as well, breaking
> dovecot, postfix and nginx. Thanks to zfs snapshots I've been able
> to recover within seconds ;-)

I heard that the nice folks who brought us "1.0.1d" will be coming out
with "1.0.1e" any day now. The key words being "any day" now. Sometimes
I really wonder if anyone actually tests this software before releasing
it. Usually I never update any software to a new version until it has
been in use for a while. However, since this was not a major update,
but just a minor letter, I figured how badly could I get burnt. Once
again, lady luck bit me in the ass.

By the way, there is now a PR filed against it. Hopefully something
will be done to correct the problem. I had to revert everything back to
the old version. More time lost ...

--
Jerry ♔