Xorg totally unusable with KMS and new Xorg on Sandy Bridge system: how to undo

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Fri Feb 8 10:44:51 UTC 2013

Thomas Mueller writes:

>  I built the newer Xorg and it falls flat: goes to a nongraphic
>  screen that is blank except for a rectangular cursor in the upper
>  left corner, and now I want to get back to the earlier Xorg.
>
>  System is Intel Sandy Bridge with i7 CPU.

	You don't mention your graphics chip explicitly, but building
libdrm with the KMS option was enough to prevent X from starting on
a Radeon HD 3300.  ("Experimental", indeed!  :-)
	Other will be able to help more if you could post the contents
of "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" and your xorg.conf file.

	Respectfully,

					Robert Huff