is it a good idea to overwrite GCC_DEFAULT_VERSION= in Mk/bsd.gcc.mk?

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Thu Feb 7 10:51:02 UTC 2013

Hi Gerald

Right now the default GCC is GCC_DEFAULT_VERSION=    4.6
For some time lang/gcc46 doesn't build for me on ia64.
However, lang/gcc47 and lang/gcc48 do.

There are quite a few ports which I cannot update
because they depend on lang/gcc46 via USE_FORTRAN=    yes.

So I wonder if there are any side effects or unexpected
effects if I just change GCC_DEFAULT_VERSION= to e.g. 4.7?

I know there are also ways to require a specific GCC
version for a specific port via /etc/make.conf, however,
this seems tedious. And anyway, 4.7 will be the default
soon, right?

Please comment