[CFT+BRAINSTORM] One USE_ to rule them all

Frederic Culot culot at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 6 13:01:23 UTC 2013

> On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 10:19:32AM +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> Lots of people are asking to change the name saying they don't like USE_FEATURES
> here is the list of proposition that have been made, please vote for you
> favorites :)
>
> USE_FEATURES: keep it as is it is cool
> USE_FEATURE: please singular
> USES: Why bother with something longer
> USE: singular I said
> FEATURES: Why keeping USE?
> FEATURE: I told you singular!
>
> regards,
> Bapt

Being one of those who found USE_FEATURES a bit too long I feel I need
to cast my vote now: I would go for 'USE' as it is shorter and more
generic than 'FEATURE'. Indeed sets of dependencies could be mentioned
here as well (equivalent of USE_XORG for example) which for me are more
requirements than features. Moreover it is closer to the actual USE_*
variables.

Anyway to broaden the choice I also thought about the following:
COMPULSORY
REQUIRE
REQUISITE
MANDATORY