pkgng update - No address record

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Fri Feb 1 10:06:20 UTC 2013

On 01/02/2013 09:46, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I know that the default pkgng repos are not up yet (probably...) but
> even so, when I try to run "pkg update" on two machines, I get this error:
>
> # pkg update
> Updating repository catalogue
> pkg: http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:9:x86:64/latest/repo.txz: No address
> record
>
> However, there are other machines where it succeeds:
>
> # pkg update
> Updating repository catalogue
> Repository catalogue is up-to-date, no need to fetch fresh copy
>
> The only difference I see is that the ones that fail have pkg 1.0.7 and
> the one that "works" is 1.0.2. Is this expected?

Could you show us the pkg.conf from the various machines please?  There
have been some recent changes to support alternate forms of mirroring
(SRV, HTTP) -- but the default, unless you overrode it, should be to
resolve pkg.freebsd.org into actual HTTP servers and ports via decoding
the SRV records.  That hasn't changed for a long time.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

PS.  The new freebsd-pkg at ... list would probably be a better venue for
this question.