Too frequent/poorly tested bsd.port.mk commits, and general uselessness of p5-FreeBSD-Portindex

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 26 08:54:55 UTC 2013

On 26/12/2013 07:30, Doug Barton wrote:
> Speaking of p5-FreeBSD-Portindex generally, I'm wondering what Matthew's
> plans are for it? For some time now running 'cache-update -f
> svn-up,options' has caused errors related to "WARNING unknown options
> file" that seem to have to do with the recent changes to the
> /var/db/ports/<category>_<portname> convention. Is an update planned to
> handle this? Also, I just tried running cache-init with bdb 5, which
> seemed to succeed, but running portindex generated a lot of suspicious
> errors. I'll try again after reinstalling bdb 4.7, but I'm wondering if
> this is a known issue.

My own usage has switched pretty much entirely to poudriere+pkgng, so
I'm not running portindex myself routinely.

I'll be happy to fix any problems reported to me, but I need to see
reports of problems.  Yours is the first mention I've seen of the
problems you mention.  Now I know about it, a fix will be forthcoming.
Obvious in retrospect, but I didn't connect the dots at the time those
OPTIONS changes came out.

As for db4 vs db5 vs db6 -- portindex doesn't use the extended
capabilities of db, just an on-disk key-value store.  That should "just
work" with any version of db.  Upgrading from db4 to db5 almost
certainly won't work: you should cache-init again.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.