Resolving circular dependencies

Erick Turnquist jhujhiti at adjectivism.org
Sun Dec 22 00:50:43 UTC 2013

Hi List,

A few weeks ago, I submitted a patch to build security/krb5 with LDAP
support (adding a dependency on security/openldap24-sasl-client). All
was well.

Now, I've realized that security/cyrus-sasl2 (which the OpenLDAP client
depends on) is going to need a knob to control which Kerberos
implementation to use. My first thought was to simply
LIB_DEPENDS+=security/krb5, but that leaves me with a circle (need to
install krb5 before building cyrus-sasl2, but can't install krb5's
dependency openldap24-sasl-client without cyrus-sasl2).

I've tried searching, but can't find any advice on resolving issues like
this. I'm sure this sort of thing has been encountered before. What's
the best way to deal with it?

Thanks

PS - I'm aware that cyrus-sasl2 will already link against an alternate
Kerberos implementation if it's installed and KRB5_HOME is set
appropriately, but I'm building in Poudriere, so that's a nonstarter.