[RfD] Merging fortune ports

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-ports-local at be-well.ilk.org
Sat Dec 21 17:04:32 UTC 2013

"A.J. 'Fonz' van Werven" <freebsd at skysmurf.nl> writes:

> I happened to notice that there are already several misc/fortune* ports
> and it takes only the slightest bit of imagination to come up with several
> more. Hell, I alone can think of at least a dozen or so. However, we
> probably don't want to fill the ports tree with a whole bunch of ports
> that are pretty much the same except for the one or two files they
> install. Moreover, who is to say which fortune ports get accepted and
> which don't? This got me thinking:
>
> Would it be a good idea to merge all fortune* ports into one and use the
> OPTIONS framework to let the user select which cookie jar(s) they wish to
> install?

That would be a fine idea, as long as it doesn't raise any license
problems. We don't actually consider or track licenses on any
fortune files or ports.  I don't think that's a problem at the
moment, but it's very difficult to be positive, especially with
regard to collection copyrights.

To be honest, I was surprised at how *few* fortune files we have in
ports. I maintain three or four "jars" for my own use, and expected
that at least *some* people would have shared theirs.