A.J. 'Fonz' van Werven freebsd at skysmurf.nl
Sat Dec 21 13:06:12 UTC 2013

John Marino wrote:

> Over the months I've seen several ports users copy a failure log and
> mail it to ports@, usually without even saying "hello".  I've tried to
> discourage that behavior but other members of this mail list encourage
> this method of bypassing writing PRs.  One user even proudly boasted
> that sending email to ports@ is faster than writing a PR so of course he
> was going to do that instead.

For what it's worth: the article "Writing FreeBSD Problem Reports" (see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/problem-reports/article.html
) actually encourages people to try mailing lists before submitting a PR.
To quote section 3 "Preparations":

"The mailing lists-if you are not subscribed, use the searchable archives
on the FreeBSD web site. If your problem has not been discussed on the
lists, you might try posting a message about it and waiting a few days to
see if someone can spot something you have overlooked."

Please note that I'm not voicing an opinion one way or the other, it's
just something I noticed and that I thought could be relevant.

AvW

--
I'm not completely useless, I can be used as a bad example.