Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bris.ac.uk
Fri Dec 20 13:11:54 UTC 2013

>Subject: Re: If ports@ list continues to be used as substitute for GNATS, I'm
> unsubscribing
>From: clutton <clutton at zoho.com>
>To: freebsd-ports at freebsd.org

>> > I disagree.
>> > I use only send-pr to send PRs.
>> > I use sendmail.
>>
>> I disagree with you.  For new users, send-pr is a fucking usability
>> train wreck, and insufficiently well documented.  Sendmail is legendary
>> for its obtuse configuration.  I suppose you should be proud of the fact
>> you find these tools easy to use, but that does not mean you should
>> dismiss others' concerns over how difficult some people find them.  The
>> fact many people find these tools very difficult to use is in fact kind
>> of a big problem, and I'm glad something is being done about it with
>> regard to the bugzilla system.  I wouldn't have chosen bugzilla if it
>> was up to me, but it's not up to me and it's sure to be a huge
>> improvement over the system currently in place, so I'm grateful for the
>> work being done.  Hopefully the command line send-pr tool will also be
>> replaced with something that actually provides a low-friction way for
>> people with problem reports to contribute to the FreeBSD project.
>>
>> In conclusion, I agree with Thomas (though I much prefer fdm over mpop,
>> personally), and believe that send-pr (or its replacement, whenever that
>> happens) desperately needs some better documentation.  I rather suspect
>> that a lot of people with problems to report simply give up and leave us
>> with no clue there's anything wrong.
>>

>+1
>People wouldn't read the «Porters Handbook» because they want to make a
>bug report. Category and Class are far away from obvious.
>
>Handbook said that the FreeBSD consists from src, ports, and docs.
>The send-pr Category dropbox contains ports, bin, java, ia64, etc. It's
>insane to put everything here.

This is a minor issue.
You could probably also remove severity
and priority, and let committers reclassify
as they see fit.

Most bug report systems I used - GCC, kde, paraview, qt -
present report submission forms which are too detailed,
in my users' opinion. Sure these extra fields might
help those dealing with the problem, who are ultimately
the people designing these systems.

Anyway, all this is trivia.

The major issues are - not enough people dealing
with PRs and PRs taking too long to be addressed.

Anton