distpatch: DISTORIG (sort of) broken

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Fri Dec 13 15:39:48 UTC 2013

When a port runs distpatch, the backup file suffix is set to DISTORIG
(default: .bak.orig) so changes from distribution patches and those
from local patches can be kept apart.

This doesn't work any longer; DISTORIG is ignored and distribution
patches also generate .orig files.  The problem in bsd.port.mk is that
at the end of the PATCH_* section, the previously configured suffix is
overridden:

  .if ${PATCH} == "/usr/bin/patch"
  PATCH_ARGS+=    --suffix .orig
  PATCH_DIST_ARGS+=       --suffix .orig
  .endif

I don't know how long this has been broken.  I don't see any recent
changes and I don't understand the purpose of the section quoted
above.  An obvious workaround is "export PATCH=patch".

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de