Ports via svn, make fetchindex and make compatibility with NetBSD

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 3 12:43:13 UTC 2013

Is it necessary to make fetchindex after downloading or updating the ports tree using svn?

I have new installations of head and 10-stable where I so far can't connect to the Internet, though I can from Linux and NetBSD-current amd64.

So I use subversion, built on NetBSD from pkgsrc, to checkout and update ports tree as well as system source tree.

But I believe I can't run "make fetchindex" without Internet connection.

Now I read that FreeBSD make has switched to bmake in the 10-stable and head branches.

So could I run "make fetchindex" from NetBSD even if I don't attempt to actually build ports from NetBSD?

I would have to point the MAKECONF to FreeBSD's /etc/make.conf rather than use NetBSD's /etc/mk.conf which is specific to NetBSD.

Or is it safe to skip "make fetchindex" entirely?

Tom