Part of bsd.port.mk broken with pkgng

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Tue Aug 27 07:09:36 UTC 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 06:08:28AM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in bsd.port.mk there is a variable ACTUAL-PACKAGE-DEPENDS. To my
> understanding it is broken with pkgng. The target where this is used is
> still used if FORCE_PACKAGE is set.
>
> Can someone confirm (I've only read the code)?
>
> Previously this target was used to only record the explicit
> dependencies of a port and not all the recursive dependencies. To my
> understanding (again, I've only read the code) the
> EXPLICIT_PACKAGE_DEPENDS feature is broken now at least on systems
> which don't use pkgng (it seems that one of the changes to support pkgng
> in bsd.port.mk introduced this regression). I don't know how pkgng
> handles this part of the package creation. If it has no internal
> knowledge similar to EXPLICIT_PACKAGE_DEPENDS, this feature is broken
> with pkgng too.
>
> Can someone confirm?
>
> If my analysis is correct, does someone know if this is on the TODO
> list of pkgng? This is specially interesting as the release process of
> FreeBSD 10 is starting and it seems that the ld of FreeBSD 10 doesn't
> record recursive lib-dependencies anymore and as such it may be
> interesting to switch to EXPLICIT_PACKAGE_DEPENDS for 10-onwards.

ACTUAL-PACKAGE-DEPENDS from bsD.port.mk isn't used, the one from bsd.pkgng.mk is
used instead which is different. yes EXPLICIT_PACKAGE_DEPENDS is not working
with pkgng for 2 reasons:
- it was unsafe for binary packages (breaking the 1.0 "solver" sometime) in 1.1
  it is safe now but see next point
- it is and will be the default behaviour the pkg 1.1.5 which also include the
  code to automatically add dependency on all libraries it is being linked on.
  meaning the port framework will only have to add the direct run deps and
  nothing more.

regards,
Bapt