How to start wine?

Thomas Mueller mueller6724 at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 24 22:13:04 UTC 2013

I built wine from ports on a USB-stick installation of FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE i386, but it won't start.

I tried to start from hard-drive installation of (from uname -a)

FreeBSD amelia2 9.2-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-PRERELEASE #17 r254196: Sun Aug 11 00:36:49 UTC 2013     root at amelia2:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SANDY  amd64

I get

Shared object "libwine.so.1" not found, required by "wine"

I was able to find libwine.so and libwine.so.1 in directory
/usr/local/lib, or as it is mounted,
/compat/i386/usr/local/lib

I tried as nonroot user.

Kernel config includes the line

options         COMPAT_FREEBSD32        # Compatible with i386 binaries

What is the trick?  Should I try to boot the USB stick with FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE i386?

I did not build Xorg on this USB stick.  Should I have?

What is the requirement of FreeBSD versions matching?

Although I keep the source tree, ports tree  and work directories on the hard drive, installing to this Kingston Data Traveler 16 GB USB 2.0 stick is very slow, slower than NetBSD and slower than FreeBSD on other USB sticks.  I could try with a Kingston Data Traveler 16 GB or 32 GB USB 3.0 drive.

Tom