Thank you for www/redmine port and Ruby gems in ports

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 23 10:32:10 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am a developer on the FreeNAS project,
and recently I updated the bug tracker on that project from
Trac to Redmine.  I installed Redmine 2.3.2 directly from ports.

It was amazingly easy to install Redmine from ports,
and combine it with Nginx, Passenger, and Postgres,
to get a very highly performant bug tracker based on Ruby on Rails.

I would like to thank the freebsd-ruby team and freebsd-ports teams
for making this so easy to do from ports.  There are companies
like Bitnami which offer their own Redmine distributions based on Linux,
because installing all the dependent Ruby gems at the right versions
can be very tricky.  However, with FreeBSD ports, this is unnecesary
because everything *just works*.

I wrote a HOWTO for what I did here:

I'd also like to thank Steve Wills, who answered some of my questions
on IRC about Redmine.

You can see the Redmine bug tracker that I set up for the FreeNAS project,
all running under FreeBSD, by going to this link:

http://web.freenas.org/support/

and clicking on "Open a Ticket"   (clicking this won't open the ticket, but
will take
you to the bug tracker page).

Thank you!!
--