fontconfig madness

Sam Fourman Jr. sfourman at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 20:43:02 UTC 2013

@Kevin

this is a bit off topic, but I heard somewhere that firefox can no longer
compile
on i386, because the compiler needs more than 4GB of memory... SO...
instead of switching the build servers to amd64(still building 32bit)
their fix was to "remove features"... so maybe they thought it was too
feature rich :)

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Steve Kargl <
> sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:

> for
> > X Windows
> for
> > X Windows (Linux Fedora 10)
> > >
> > > I see this too with every linux program that uses fontconfig.
> >
> > After a few hours of poking around, I've believe that I've
> > narrowed the issue down to a decision by the developers of
> > fontconfig to deprecate the default location ~/.fontconfig.
> > I added a /usr/local/etc/fonts/local.conf, which contains
> >
> > <cachedir prefix="~">.fontconfig</cachedir>
> >
> > to recover the old behavior
> >

> Steve,
>
> It seems like the term "madness" is entirely appropriate to such a change.
> Is there a commit log that you have found indicating that ti was
> deliberate? I am at a loss as to why such a change would be made. (I am
> also at a loss, even after reading all of the discussion, on why Mozilla
> decided to remove the "automatically load images" preference checkbox, so
> I'm not ruling anything out.)
>
> > --
> > Steve
> >

> --