fontconfig madness

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 17:02:25 UTC 2013

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Steve Kargl <
sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 11:44:12AM +0200, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:27:45 -0700 Steve Kargl wrote:
> > > I upgraded my freebsd-current system to  revision 254098
> > > and followed this by deleting all installed ports except
> > > pkg.  After rebuilding all ports, it seems fontconfig has
> > > lost it mind (or someone made a chnage to where fontconfig
> > > thinks it should cache fonts).  Every time I run acroread8
> > > to view a pdf file, acroread8 creates a new fontconfig/
> > > in the CWD instead of using ~/.fontconfig.  How do I (un)fix
> > > whatever was changed?
> > >
> > > I seem to have the most up-to-date ports.
> > >
> > > % pkg info | grep fontconf
> > > fontconfig-2.10.93,1           An XML-based font configuration API for
> X Windows
> > > linux-f10-fontconfig-2.6.0     An XML-based font configuration API for
> X Windows (Linux Fedora 10)
> > > % pkg version -vl '<' | grep fontconfig
> >
> > I see this too with every linux program that uses fontconfig.
>
> After a few hours of poking around, I've believe that I've
> narrowed the issue down to a decision by the developers of
> fontconfig to deprecate the default location ~/.fontconfig.
> I added a /usr/local/etc/fonts/local.conf, which contains
>
> <cachedir prefix="~">.fontconfig</cachedir>
>
> to recover the old behavior

Steve,

It seems like the term "madness" is entirely appropriate to such a change.
Is there a commit log that you have found indicating that ti was
deliberate? I am at a loss as to why such a change would be made. (I am
also at a loss, even after reading all of the discussion, on why Mozilla
decided to remove the "automatically load images" preference checkbox, so
I'm not ruling anything out.)