Strange problem with portmaster

Greg Byshenk freebsd at byshenk.net
Wed Aug 7 17:09:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 11:06:52AM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I recently upgraded all the ports on a server, so I decided to run
> portmaster -r perl to make sure all the perl ports were up to date.
>
> I used portmaster -rfd perl and got the following error:
> /var/db/pkg/fd does not exist
>
> I googled a bit and found nothing.  Then I thought, that's strange, fd was
> the second and third commands.  So I ran:
> portmaster -r -f -d perl and I got /var/db/pkg/f does not exist
>
> Then I tried portmaster -rf -d perl and got /var/db/pkg/d does not exist
>
> I finally just ran portmaster -r perl, which worked of course.
>
> Apparently the -r switch doesn't want to see anything after except the port
> that's being recursively built?  I didn't try portmaster -fd -r perl.
> Maybe I should have?

Yes, you should have, at least if you wanted the '-fd' flags.
It may not be highlighted in the man page, but it does say
"-r name/glob of port directory in /var/db/pkg", and I've found
that the '-r' flag does require that the port follow immediately.

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk at byshenk.net  -  Portland, OR USA