openldap-2.4.35: "failed to start slapd"

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Apr 29 19:04:12 UTC 2013

On 29/04/2013 19:26, Jerry wrote:
> Thanks Matthew, I was wondering if I would have to rebuild the
> database. I kind of thought that I would. One question though, why
> "WITH_BDB_VER?=5" instead of the same setting sans the "?" question
> mark? Plus, is there really a need for a space or tab between the
> directive and the setting? I have seen several such flags using one
> style or the other. Is it just a matter of style or does it actually
> make any difference?

'?=' means 'assign if variable is not already initialised' -- so it
allows ports to override your choice of settings; for instance if you
wanted to install a port that only worked with an earlier version of BDB.

No, you don't need a space or tab in there at all.  It's just a habit
since the standard in ports Makefiles is to put a tab (or two) after all
assignments so the data lines up nicely.  Style only.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.