Change design of py-* ruby-* ports

David Demelier demelier.david at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 20:03:37 UTC 2013

Hello,

Currently the ports tree has unified ports for python and ruby modules with
origin like databases/py-sqlalchemy. When someone wants to bulk the ports tree
to create packages the databases/py-sqlalchemy will only be built against the
current python version set in Mk/bsd.python.mk (or overriden in make.conf).

This is a very bad design and we should fix that as soon as possible, we are a
lot of people and some portmgr folks included that is not the best way to
manage python / ruby modules.

Let say I want to install a package, unfortunately this one requires some
python modules that are only working for python 2.7 but me as a developer I
want to develop with python 3, then we are stuck.

What we need to do now, is to move *all* py-* and ruby-* to their respective
versions i.e py27-* and ruby19 (or 18?).

Then we will need to copy all of these and set them to the newer version so
py33 and ruby20.

Also this will remove the breakage of OPTIONS, all of these ports needs the
dirty hack of OPTIONSFILE because of the ${PKGNAMEPREFIX}.

This will blow out the ports tree by adding a lot of ports, but it's the best
way to cover the both version and future bulk generation for users.

Regards,

--
David Demelier