optionsng not saving options on some ports

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 23:03:46 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Jeremy Messenger
<mezz.freebsd at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Once again I hit a case where a port being upgraded by portmaster asked
> for
> > options configuration (dialog4ports) nd fails to either save it correctly
> > or to find the saved options.
> >
> > I ran portmaster to upgrade ruby18-bdb43. I was asked to select options
> > three times, once for 'make fetch', one for 'make', and once for 'make
> > install'.  Unfortunately, it seems that the options I selected were
> simply
> > ignored as I de-selected both DOC and EXAMPLE, but both were built and
> > installed.
> >
> > The same thing happened  while ago with another port (libxml2?). I assume
> > it is something about the way the Makefile is written that is wrong, but
> it
> > certainly is annoying and, if it was a port where I REALLY need a certain
> > option, I'd have a more serious problem.
>
> It's known issue. See here:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/148637
>
> The PR doesn't display my message very well in HTML, so you will have
> to click on the 'Raw PR' link in the bottom to read my message better.

Ouch! This one is really ugly and can bite so many ports. I'm a bit
disappointed to see no recent signs of work on this. At least I understand
the issue, if not a solution.

Your suggestion looks good, but it affects a lot of stuff and I'm not
confident that will be easy to deal with some areas (i.e.portmaster)
without triggering other problems and I am nowhere near a good enough shell
person to even try to figure it out.

--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com