Problems submitting patch containing UTF-8 characters

Michael Gmelin freebsd at grem.de
Sun Sep 30 14:33:42 UTC 2012

On 30 Sep 2012, at 16:19, Shaun Amott <shaun at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 05:08:03AM +0200, Michael Gmelin wrote:
>> I recently ran into a problem submitting a PR containing UTF-8
>> characters, they ended up garbled, so the maintainer couldn't apply the
>> patch cleanly.
>
> GNATS, unfortunately, records no information about character encoding.
> To make matters worse, it actually removes many headers from e-mail
> replies, meaning query-pr.cgi can usually only work on guesses and
> assumptions.
>
> Headers are however preserved inside MIME parts, and if there are any of
> these headers, they are used; but in this case your MUA hasn't included
> encoding information here.
>
> Shaun
>
> --
> Shaun Amott // PGP: 0x6B387A9A
> "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin
> of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

The question remains though, why is it trying to re-encode characters as UTF8 when it just received what should be 8bit ASCII to it (passing it through transparently should work)? Especially in case of a binary attachment (which it shows correctly in base64 encoded form but tries to UTF-8 encode on download). To me this looks like a (web server?) configuration issue.