huge distfiles policy

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Sat Sep 29 22:17:07 UTC 2012

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 05:22:36PM +0400, Борис Самородов wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm about to commit print/texlive ports (PR/171571). One of it's ports
> (print/texlive-texmf) has size approx. 1.4 Gb.
>
> What is the current policy upon huge ports? Should I restrict someting
> to not build at, say, pointyhat? Something else?
>
> Thanks!

Hi,

First I want to say I really want to see texlive in and our old teTex going out
and I appreciate all the work that are going on in the area recently.

I have two concerns about this, first one is I would hate to see texlive has
restricted to avoided to be build as a package because:

1/ people would love to just be able to install the package
2/ lots of ports are currently depending on teTex and if teTex is replaced by
texlive which it should that means we will not anymore be able to provide
packages for those packages, I don't have the complete list but I think this
will impact at least kde and gnome.

My second concern was discussed when Dominic Fandrey called for testing this
port: at least 2 people have been working on texlive with different approach:
hrs and romain.

In particular Romain and I discussed on merging texlive to the ports tree based
on http://code.google.com/p/freebsd-texlive/ he has been contacted some company
to mirror the splitted distfiles for us, and was suppose to resumer his work on
this when back from vacations which should be the case now given that he has
done some commit last week :D

I CCed both hrs and romain so they can give their opinion and the status of
their work.

Thanks all for your work on texlive!

regards,
Bapt