Need a reality check: "portmaster --list-origins" misses entries?

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sat Sep 15 03:05:23 UTC 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 04:56:46PM -1000, Doug Barton wrote:
> >> d134(9.1-P)[8] portmaster --list-origins | wc -l 181
>
> Read the description of the --list-origins feature in the man page. :)

Aye -- and thanks (also) to Bryan, who also pointed that out. :-}

> > Assuming you ...
> > install every port listed in '--list-origins', you should end up with
> > the same 796 ports installed as those 181 will install all of the
> > other ports.
>
> Maybe, but probably not, especially on a major version upgrade. That's
> why --list-origins does what it does, rather than just 'pkg_info -qoa'

Well, there's actually one port I will be eliding deliberately:
misc/compat8x. :-}

> David, if you are particularly concerned about having subversion
> installed at an earlier point, you can include it in the list manually.
> That won't hurt anything, portmaster will make sure that it gets
> installed before anything that needs it.

Cool; that's pretty much what I thought.  And yes, there are a few ports
where I intend to exert a bit more influence. :-}

Thanks!

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.