[HEADS-UP] Announcing the end of port CVS

Jeffrey Bouquet jeffreybouquet at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 04:00:44 UTC 2012

--- On Wed, 9/12/12, Chris Rees <crees at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> From: Chris Rees <crees at FreeBSD.org>
> Subject: Re: [HEADS-UP] Announcing the end of port CVS
> To: "Jeffrey Bouquet" <jeffreybouquet at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "Beat Gaetzi" <beat at freebsd.org>, freebsd-ports at freebsd.org
> Date: Wednesday, September 12, 2012, 12:07 PM
> On 12 September 2012 15:14, Jeffrey
> Bouquet <jeffreybouquet at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > --- On Wed, 9/12/12, Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Jeffrey Bouquet <jeffreybouquet at yahoo.com>
> >> Subject: Re: [HEADS-UP] Announcing the end of port
> CVS
> >> To: freebsd-ports at FreeBSD.org,
> "Beat Gaetzi" <beat at FreeBSD.org>
> >> Date: Wednesday, September 12, 2012, 6:31 AM
> >>

> >> --- On Fri, 9/7/12, Beat Gaetzi <beat at FreeBSD.org>

> CVS
> CVS
> >> exporter
> CVSup
> >> mirroring
> especially
> >> on
> >> unmaintainable.

> FreeBSD
> >> ports
> tree
> >> updates
> date. All
> >> users
> encouraged
> control
> >> over

> consider setting
> >> up a
> checkouts and
> >> for
> one of
> >> the

> svnsync(1) is
> seeds to set
> >> up a
> sites
> >> under

> provided via
> >> the
> feature rich
> under
> pkg.FreeBSD.org.

> is needed
> >> and
> is
> >> dependent on
>    : http://pkg.freebsd.org/${ABI}/latest
>    : YES

> default and
> >> no
> RC6 is
> >> used
> packagesite

> infrastructure is
> >> still
> found at

> >> [1] Should not this go in UPDATING now for persons
> who have
> >> it
> >> set in cron and do not read this list?  Thus
> they would
> >> have time
> >> to prepare adequately or to ask questions at the
> minimum.
> >>
> >> [2] Any URL of sites which would be portsnap or svn
> updated,
> [...]

Succeeded [2] in .svn-ing a /usr/ports and copying distfiles/ and
packages/ back to it, copying sparse extra files, and
updating the .svn a bit later[2].  Everything worked super, even
despite the symlink for /usr/ports on that machine[1], and
portmaster and tabbing into /var/db/pkg and shell pipes made
quick work of the many upgrades.  Portsnap usage delayed... (I can
thumbdrive packages over from the .svn machine, using gcp and
rysnc...)

[1] Had to create it on another partition, /usr was almost full.

Solved here (until .svn errors if they occur) though, enough disk space etc. (Dreading those as well as the /pkg/ changeover, still,
somewhat.)

[2] Using the previous post in this mailing list describing how.
Maybe that should go in UPDATING ???

J. Bouquet