[HEADS-UP] Announcing the end of port CVS

Jeffrey Bouquet jeffreybouquet at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 12 13:32:00 UTC 2012

--- On Fri, 9/7/12, Beat Gaetzi <beat at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> From: Beat Gaetzi <beat at FreeBSD.org>
> Subject: [HEADS-UP] Announcing the end of port CVS
> To: freebsd-ports at FreeBSD.org
> Date: Friday, September 7, 2012, 5:36 AM
> The development of FreeBSD ports is
> done in Subversion nowadays.
> For the sake of compatibility a Subversion to CVS exporter
> is
> in place which has some limitations. For CVSup mirroring
> cvsup
> based on Ezm3 is used which breaks regularly especially on
> amd64
> and with Clang and becomes more and more unmaintainable.
>
> For those reasons by February 28th 2013 the FreeBSD ports
> tree will
> no longer be exported to CVS. Therefore ports tree updates
> via CVS
> or CVSup will no longer available after that date. All users
> who use
> CVS or CVSup to update the ports tree are encouraged to
> switch to
> portsnap(8) [1] or for users which need more control over
> their ports
> collection checkout use Subversion directly:
>
> % svn co https://svn0.us-west.FreeBSD.org/ports/head /usr/ports
>
> and update a checked out repository using:
>
> % cd /usr/ports && svn update
>
> Advanced users, or larger sites, might consider setting up a
> local
> svn mirror. Both for people doing direct checkouts and for
> people
> wanting to use a local mirror, they can access one of the
> public
> subversion servers [2].
>
> How to set up a Subversion mirror using svnsync(1) is
> described in
> the FreeBSD Committers Guide [3]. Initial seeds to set up a
> svnsync
> mirror are provided on the FreeBSD FTP mirror sites under
> /pub/FreeBSD/development/subversion/.
>
> Binary packages for pkg_install are still provided via the
> FTP mirror
> network. There is also pkgng which is a feature rich
> replacement tool
> for pkg_install available in the ports tree under
> ports/ports-mgmt/pkg.
> Packages for pkgng are available on pkg.FreeBSD.org.
>
> To use pkg.FreeBSD.org at least pkgng 1.0 RC6 is needed and
> can be
> enabled in pkg.conf like this (where ${ABI} is dependent on
> your
> system):
> PACKAGESITE         : http://pkg.freebsd.org/${ABI}/latest
> SRV_MIRRORS         : YES
>
> With pkgng 1.0 SRV_MIRRORS is enabled by default and no
> longer needs
> to be set explicitly. If pkgng prior to 1.0 RC6 is used
> http://pkgbeta.FreeBSD.org can be used as packagesite
> instead.
>
> Please keep im mind that the pkgng infrastructure is still
> considered
> as beta. More information about pkgng can be found at
> [...]
[1] Should not this go in UPDATING now for persons who have it
set in cron and do not read this list?  Thus they would have time
to prepare adequately or to ask questions at the minimum.

[2] Any URL of sites which would be portsnap or svn updated, yet
export via a cvs server for persons to continue using csup/cvsup?

I had a random thought that this change could be delayed one release
so that csup could depend upon a new .so. "on purpose" in v10 that
would notify the user somehow that it is deprecated in v11... but
that neglects cvsup...

J. Bouquet