Upgrade java/icedtea-web from 1.2_2 -> 1.3 fails: "tar: Pathname in pax header can't be converted to current locale"

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sun Sep 9 15:47:40 UTC 2012


On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 08:34:35AM -0700, David Wolfskill wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 09, 2012 at 06:16:20PM +0300, Kimmo Paasiala wrote:
> > ...
> > Hmm, you're using sudo(1) and that means you enviroment may not be
> > completely clean. Log on as root using 'su -l' and see if it makes a
> > difference.
> > ....
> 
> Well, despite my earlier experiments with LC_ALL & friends, "su -"
> allows the make to complete.
> 
> I'll research the environment differences to see if there's anything I
> can learn from that.
>...

OK; I managed to get portmaster to upgrade the port.

I normally perform such upgrades within script(1).  This time, after
invoking script, I issued:

unsetenv LC* LANG

before invoking portmaster, and that worked.

(I noticed that after "su -", output of "env" did not include any of the
LC* variables or LANG.)

There would thus appear to be a functional difference between setting
the above-cited environment variables to "default" values vs. not having
them set at all.

(And after the upgrade, browsing to <http://javatester.org/version.html>
with Firefox still shows "Java Version: 1.6.0_32 from Sun Microsystems
Inc.")

Peace,
david
-- 
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.

See http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 196 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/attachments/20120909/785f3002/attachment.pgp


More information about the freebsd-ports mailing list