Conflict between lang/tcl85 and x11-toolkits/open-motif?

Kevin Oberman kob6558 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 03:09:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 2:37 AM, Thomas Mueller <mueller23 at insightbb.com> wrote:
>> Yes the problem exists indeed. I suggest that you reconfigure (make
>> config) in lang/tcl85 and unselect the TCL85_MAN option, then reinstall
>> tcl85.
>
>> --
>> Pietro Cerutti
>> The FreeBSD Project
>> gahr at FreeBSD.org
>

> from Chris Petrik <c.petrik.sosa at gmail.com>:
>
>> This can be fixed by using either the mentioned or if you require the tcl
>> man pages add:
>> WITHOUT_OPENMOTIF_MANUALS=yes to make.conf and rebuild open-motif.
>
>> Chris
>
> I looked in the Makefile again and found that TCL85_MAN is off by default,
> Maybe I should stick to that and rebuild lang/tcl85 before retrying the rest
> of the upgrade with portmaster.
>
> But then how did I previously get away with installing man pages for both
> lang/tcl85 and x11-toolkits/open-motif?  And why no warning in the Makefile
> or somewhere else?
>
> Why are these two ports set up to install man pages to the same directory, or
> are the man pages of the same name and same directory really the same?
>
> I just rebuilt lang/tcl85, took only about two minutes on new computer, was
> successful, after unselecting TCL85_MAN option.

First, the old package system was not at all smart about such
conflicts. That file would always be that of the last of the ports to
be installed. With the flat file DB used by the old package system,
this simply went unnoticed unless a human noticed it and did
something. The new system uses sqlite as its database. As a result, it
does notice if a port tries to install a file of the same name as one
already installed, so shows a conflict. I suspect that there are a
number of similar conflicts that will pop up now and then, especially
for non-default options.

The two files happen to have the same names and both seem to be
installing in the normal locations. With the very large number of man
pages involved, it's pretty easy to see why it went unnoticed. The
only way it would notice would be if someone tried to bring up the man
page for the first installed, got the wrong page and then spent the
time to track down why.or, at least report it.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558 at gmail.com