How to check out ports

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Wed Oct 3 02:55:34 UTC 2012

--On October 2, 2012 11:28:12 PM +0200 Michael Gmelin <freebsd at grem.de>
wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 14:14:26 -0500
> Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> --On October 2, 2012 2:44:46 PM -0400 Eitan Adler
>> <lists at eitanadler.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > We need to be better about announcing these changes as not to
>> > frustrate maintainers. :)

>> > You should do things the same way you did before, but instead you
>> > should use svn to checkout out your port. Note that 'module names'
>> > no longer work so you must use the full name:
>> > e..g., svn checkout svn://svn.freebsd.org/ports/head/editors/nano
>> >
>> > It may help to keep a folder of "ports-I-maintain" with the ports
>> > you maintain checked out. Before you update them do "svn update *"
>> > and to generate a diff do "svn diff foldername"
>> I got on the wiki and figured out how to check ou the port using svn,
>> but now I'm stuck again.  This port has moved to github, and I don't
>> have a clue how to download it in the Makefile.  There's no mention
>> of github in /usr/ports/Mk, so I assume the method hasn't even been
>> written yet. The source is here:
>> <https://github.com/firnsy/barnyard2/>, but I don't see a tarball,
>> and I don't know enough about ports to know if it's even possible to
>> fetch it from github.
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> What about using the ZIP
>
> https://github.com/firnsy/barnyard2/zipball/master
>
> (this will give you the current master branch in a ZIP file)
>
> or a tarball
>
> https://github.com/firnsy/barnyard2/tarball/master
>
> If you want to keep things more stable (since the master branch might
> change frequently and break your build), limit yourself to a specific
> version. Fortunately this software is using tags for versioning, so
> it's easy to get zips from github, e.g.:
>
> https://github.com/firnsy/barnyard2/zipball/v2-1.10
>
> or if you prefer a tarball (which is usually nicer to have)
>
> https://github.com/firnsy/barnyard2/tarball/v2-1.10
>
> Github provides tarballs (and zipballs) for all branches and tags.
>
> See also:
>
> https://github.com/blog/12-tarball-downloads
>
> Hope that helps

How do I handle this?

firnsy-barnyard2-v2-1.10-0-g2f5d496.tar.gz

Is the string at the end (g2f5d496) auto-generated?  If so, that's another
problem.

I guess something like this?  Sheesh.  What a PITA.

PORTNAME=       barnyard2-v2
PORTVERSION=    1.10
PKGNAMEPREFIX=  firnsy-
PKGNAMESUFFIX=  -0-g2f5d496