How to check out ports

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Tue Oct 2 17:33:50 UTC 2012

On 2 October 2012 12:23, Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com> wrote:
> Are we supposed to be using cvs or svn to check out ports now?  If cvs, I'm
> getting prompted for a password which fails.

There are a lot of answers to this question, and things are in the
midst of changing.

The as close to official answer as possible is:

- use portsnap for most use cases
- use svn directly if you need custom patches to the ports tree
- use CTM if you prefer getting patches by email (this is a rarer use case)
- I'm not certain about the status if ports-mtm/portshaker - but it
should be using one of the first two methods.

everything else: cvsup, csup, CVS is *going away* and is considered a
*legacy* method. If you don't already use them, don't start.

please keep in mind that this is all in flux at the moment and even
the handbook may be *wrong.*  The ports and documentation team are
working hard to get this all sorted out, but it is a time of change.
:)

--
Eitan Adler