How to check out ports

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Tue Oct 2 16:34:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 02, 2012 at 11:23:23AM -0500, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> Are we supposed to be using cvs or svn to check out ports now?  If cvs, I'm
> getting prompted for a password which fails.

That depends on the nature of the repository you are using.

What I do is maintain local private mirrors of the FreeBSD src, doc,
and ports SVN repositories, and check out what I want to use via svn
using those repositories.  This does not require a password.

It is unlikely that most folks will want (let alone need) to maintain
such mirrors, but I find it easy and useful for what I do.

Note that there has been an "end of the line" posted re: the current
CVS exporter for ports: there is a date in the not-too-distant
future when only SVN will be supported by the FreeBSD project (again,
for ports).  (The doc repo never had a CVS exporter after its
conversion from CVS to SVN.  AFAIK, there are no current plans to
turn off the CVS exporter for the src repo -- but doc & src are
off-topic for this list.)

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.