FreeBSD ports you maintain which are out of date

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Thu Nov 29 09:33:45 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 09:06:59PM +0200, Alexander Yerenkow wrote:
> 2012/11/28 Kevin Oberman <kob6558 at gmail.com>
>
> > On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 7:45 AM, Alexander Yerenkow <yerenkow at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> > > In that case, near each port should be.mntr contact mentioned, to.make it
> > > easier for anyone to contact mntr immediately, instead making additional
> > > unnecessary steps.
> >
> > I suspect that you are missing the fact that all ports which lack a
> > specific maintainer (most of them) are maintained by ports at . So the
> > messages to ports are only for the vast array of ports that are
> > unmaintained. There is no one else to contact.
> >
> > Ideally, if someone has a little free time, they can look at the list
> > and pick a couple to update and submit the update in a PR to ports
> > with a category of "update". Or even better, become the maintainer,
> > yourself. I have been maintainer for a couple of ports that were
> > critical to my work, so I could be sure that they would be updated
> > promptly.
> >

> Not exactly :) My suggestion about including current maintainer contact
> info was about this part of discussion:
>
>  >>Probably more to the point is that it shouldn't get sent to the ports
>  >>mailing list - just to port maintainers.
> >Did you ever think that sending it to the list might motivate someone else
> to take over the port?
> >There's a reason ports get out of date. One of the reasons is because the
> port maintainer has lost interest or no longer has the time. If people on
> the list see it, someone who is motivated might update the >port and end up
> being its new maintainer.
>
> So, my thought was, if you ever came to sending portscout messages with
> alive maintainer to all ports@ list, would be nice to see contacts
> immediately.
> You could learn that some maintainer is inactive last time, and next time
> you see update for his port, you could get it to work.
> Something like that.

But this is exactly the point - portscout *only* sends messages to the
e-mail address listed in the port's MAINTAINER line.  If portscout's
message goes to the ports at FreeBSD.org list, then there *is* no active
maintainer - what Paul means is that the maintainer has lost interest
(or the ability / resources / time to work on the port) and somebody has
reset the port's maintainership to ports at FreeBSD.org.

G'luck,
Peter

Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net roam at FreeBSD.org peter at packetscale.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13
If I had finished this sentence,