Self-Maintained ports Makefile for cloned git

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Fri Nov 23 08:43:37 UTC 2012

Hi. I want to add a new port to my "locally maintained" collection. Source
files will be cloned using git into a folder on the system (and not a tar.gz
file) and I will manually update the git, I do not want the Makefile to run
git fetch. So I have several questions about this:

1. How do I set MASTER_SITES in the port's Makefile to a local folder path?
Something like this?
MASTER_SITES=file//path/to/folder - is there another variable I am
overlooking?
2. Is there any way version information on the git clone can be
automatically passed to the Makefile?  Can DISTNAME= be of help here?
3. In the Makefile do I have to define tools that the source needs for
building (like cmake / bison / lua)? Or is the process smart enough to know
where to look - sometimes source builds break because they are unable to
locate a tool which is already installed on the system.

Thank You.