Steam, linux version

Thu Nov 8 11:55:16 UTC 2012

Hi,

I just did a quick search on the net. Steam needs glibc 2.15 or higher, our default linux base has glibc 2.9.

Anyone interested in steam on FreeBSD better picks one of the linux infrastructure ports and makes a c6 version of it.

I offer to make a wiki page for coordination, to commit ports, and to review and help with explanations via email, but don't expect that I get time to create one of the missing infrastructure ports.

It's more easy than it looks (tell me when you are stuck or don't know what to do), volunteers please.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Sent from a mobile device, please forgive brevity and typographical errors.Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> hat geschrieben:Hi,

The base port is already in the ports tree. What is missing is an update to it, and the infrastructure ports around it.

For the infrastructure ports I wrote something in my blog.

The update of thhe base port basically means looking at each distfile and searching if there's a more recent version available.

Volunteers welcome.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Sent from a mobile device, please forgive brevity and typographical errors.Lars Engels <lars.engels at 0x20.net> hat geschrieben:On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 11:01:40PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 10:46:43 -0800 Mike Carlson <mike at bayphoto.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On 11/7/2012 1:44 AM, Alexander Yerenkow wrote:
> > > Hey guys.
> > > Steam is now in Beta for Ubuntu, they provide *.deb file.
> > >
> > > Do someone working on bringing it to FreeBSD with linux
> > > emulation? :)
> > >

> > That would be fantastic to have!
>
> I would expect that you may only get something up and running with the
> highly experimental and incomplete (it's not rocked science, I have a
> blog post about adding what's missing) linux_base-c6... if at all.
> I would expect that it depends upon a more recent glibc than what we
> have on the default linux_base port.

What's the current state of linux_base-c6? Will it hit the ports tree
after 9.1? You latest blog post [1] is from May, so maybe something
happened in the meantime?

[1] http://www.leidinger.net/blog/2012/05/18/linux_base-c6/

Lars