[Call for Testers] VirtualBox 4.2.4

Brandon Gooch jamesbrandongooch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 03:21:59 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 2:16 AM, Bernhard Fröhlich <decke at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi virtualbox users!
>
> This is again a call for testers to get some feedback before we commit
> VirtualBox 4.2 to the portstree. If you already run VirtualBox 4.2.0 you
> should definitely update to 4.2.4 because they fixed quite a few serious
> bugs upstream.
>
> Our plan is still to commit 4.2 to the portstree as soon as FreeBSD 9.1
> is out the door.
>
> If you are interested in helping with virtualbox maintenance and
> development or have noticed a bug you can easily find us on IRC.
>

> Please update devel/kBuild-devel before updating any of the virtualbox
> ports and ensure that your Kernel sources match your running kernel
> before building the virtualbox-ose-kmod port.
>
> Changes since VirtualBox 4.1:
> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog
>
> VirtualBox 4.2.4 and 4.1.22 (legacy) Ports:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~decke/virtualbox/virtualbox-cft-4.2.4-20121030.tar.gz
>
> IRC: #freebsd-vbox on Freenode
>

> Bernhard on behalf of the new VirtualBox on FreeBSD Team!
>
> --
> Bernhard Froehlich
> http://www.bluelife.at/

I've updated to 4.2.4 on my system running HEAD. I've hit one annoying issue.

I've been running the 4.2.0 Call for Testing for a while now, and it
worked very well.

After updating to 4.2.4 and updating the guest additions on several
Linux guests, I've found that 3D acceleration is broken. The guest on
which I didn't update the guest additions (so it's still running
version 4.2.0 guest additions),  3D acceleration works great.

This is a nuisance on systems which had some form of compositing
enabled (e.g. compiz) because the login process (GDM in this case)
just spins indefinitely waiting on (I presume) the window manager to
fire up.

Anyone else seeing this?

-Brandon